Provided by BBSI
Are you ready for the new year? Here’s a preview of the CO state laws employers must prepare for.
CO Wage and Hour (Effective January 1, 2022):
Minimum Wage for Hourly Workers:
- Denver: $15.87 (2021: $14.77)
- Statewide (Proposed, not yet final): $12.56 (2021: $12.32)
Minimum Wage for Salaried Workers:
- $45,000 (2021: $40,500)
CO Paid Sick Leave- Healthy Family Workers Act (HFWA) (Effective January 1, 2022 for ALL employers):
- Employees receive 48 hours per year (either anniversary or calendar). No waiting period – employees begin accruing 1 hour of paid sick leave for every 30 hours worked, and INCLUDES OVERTIME. . . And more!
- 2022: All employers with 1 or more employee(s) must offer HFWA. (2021: Minimum employee count is 16)
- Employers should have their PTO/Sick Leave policies spelled out in an employee handbook.
Colorado Secure Savings Program (Effective Date TBD)
- A state-run auto IRA program
- Applies to employers with 5 or more employees
- The program will be up and running soon, then employees can sign up for pre-tax deductions to deposit into the plan
- BBSI offers a 401(k) option for clients
Colorado Paid Family & Medical Leave
- Voted into law in 2020, employees can access January 1,2024
- Applies to employers with 10 or more employees
- Available to employees who earned at least $2,500
- Provides 12 weeks of paid medical leave and job protection
- New Government Agency will manage the plan
- Taxes to fund the plan will be 0.9%, with a 50/50 split between the employer and employee, starting January 1, 2023
No More Vacation “Use It or Lose It” Policies
- CO’s Wage Claim Act clarified through a CO Supreme Court ruling that “earned, vested, determinable” vacation can’t be taken away through a “use it or lose it” policy, and employees are entitled to all accrued but unused vacation at the time of termination.
Equal Pay for Equal Work
- Requires job postings include pay ranges
- Required promotion opportunities be posted
- Every employee should have a job description in their personnel file
- And more!
Need help? Let us know!
Knight Hinman, Area Manager – Denver, CO
303-893-1850 ext 24660